Free Ebook of Emerson’s Complete Works

I’ve prepared an ebook of Ralph Waldo Emerson’s complete works in epub format, which can be used with a number of readers, including Apple’s iBooks (on the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch) and Stanza (on a variety of platforms). I’ve taken texts from RWE.org, and formatted them to create this ebook. The book has a full, detailed table of contents, listing each volume of the complete Emerson edition from the early 20th century, as well as each essay or text within each volume.

This book is not perfect; I need to go through it and change some _words between underscores_ to words in italics, and I have to proofread punctuation, which may have some issues. But as this ebook contains more than 1 million words, it may take me some time to get to it.

So, in order to help others who may want a collection of Emerson’s works on the portable device, I’m making this book available now. If you find any errors, let me know, and as I update the file, I’ll repost this article specifying new versions.

Change log:

Version 1.1, added correspondence between Emerson and Carlyle.

Download Emerson’s Complete Works v. 1.1.

Posted in: Books on May 4, 2011 | 6 Comments »
Share on Twitter | Facebook

6 Comments
  1. On May 7, 2011 at 9:48 pm Bryan Said:

How do you view this file? I can’t add this to iTunes or any other ebook reader. I unzipped the file but can’t find anything in the epub format. Thanks.

2. On May 7, 2011 at 10:13 pm kirk Said:

If you add it to iTunes, you can then sync it to an iPad, iPhone or iPod touch and view it with iBooks or Stanza. If you have another portable device, there are programs that can read epub files. It is not designed to be read on a computer.

3. On June 14, 2011 at 4:14 am Jim Said:

Many thanks for all your work in putting this together. It will be a valuable resource for me since the works of Emerson don’t seem to be readily available in Australia – they’re probably in university libraries.

btw I am able to access this on my PC using Adobe Digital Editions (free software from Adobe)

4. On June 8, 2012 at 4:03 pm Bobby Said:

Are there works that you would recommend for beginners?

5. On June 13, 2012 at 7:50 pm kirk Said:

I’d say start with Nature and the essays in Essays: First Series.

6. On August 25, 2013 at 5:10 am ashokm Said:

Reading Emerson’s works and especially the Essays, was a life changing experience for me. The essay ‘Self Reliance’ changed my whole outlook on life and brought a new light into the darkness of my mind. I am at peace with myself now for which I read I know not how many books on philosophy, on religion, on psychology, on behaviour therapy and what not. I cannot express my joy at finding all the works in one volume. I am unable to express my gratitude fully for your labour.